Timeline of Events - The Through 1873 - 2020
Table of Contents
Depot History Overview Slideshow
Depot History Overview Video
1873 - Hopewell Depot built on the Dutchess & Columbia Railroad
1873 - Dutchess & Columbia Railroad Fails
1877 - Reorganized as Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut Railroad
1881 - New York & New England RR reaches Hopewell Junction
1892 - Dutchess County RR connects Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge to Hopewell
When the connection to the Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge happened the Interlocking Tower S-196 was built, protecting the junction. You can see it in the picture to the right.
The tower was installed to mange the flow of traffic that the depot began to see with the new connections.
1905 - Borden’s Creamery Begins Operations
1905 -The Move Of the Depot
During 1905-1910 the Depot building moved 300 feet from Bridge St. (Rt. 376 – In Front of The Hopewell Inn Current Location) to the rail crossing, then 20 feet to present location, to make room for a 2nd east-west track
1927 - New Haven Railroad absorbs CNE and takes over the Depot
1933 - Passenger service ends
The last passenger train at the Hopewell Junction was in 1933. The line was officially abandoned and the tracks sold for scrap to Japan in 1938. Some of Dutchess County is probably at the bottom of Pearl Harbor.
1938 - Old ND&C tracks to the north abandoned; interlocking tower razed
1950 - Steam pusher service ends; coal/water facilities razed; Borden’s closes
1969 - New Haven Railroad; Hopewell lines become part of Penn Central, then Conrail systems; later transferred to MetroNorth
1974 - Poughkeepsie Bridge burns; cross-Hudson traffic to Maybrook stops
1984 - Maybrook Line tracks torn out; Depot abandoned
The big RR bridge in Poughkeepsie had burned in May 1974 and rail traffic stopped across the Hudson. Local rail traffic could not justify the cost of the line. By 1980 the line through Poughkeepsie to Hopewell Junction was almost out of business.
1986 - Hopewell Depot burns in arson fire
A local fireman torched the depot in 1986. He was caught and the fire put out, but the damage was done. There was extensive charring of the roof rafters and interior walls.